A blog for cooking and crafts

Sunday 12 October 2014

Out of the Drawer - gilding flakes

Out of the Drawer is where I will be attempting to use some previously bought item, never used and languishing unloved in a drawer!

Today's item is an Indigo Blu gilding flakes starter kit.  I had waited for a decent subscription gift for a magazine and this was suddenly advertised, so I thought "Ooooooh! Must have!"  But in spite of all that excitement, it has sat in the drawer for a couple of months.

The flakes are very easy to use - though they fly everywhere - the comprehensive instructions did recommend using tumble dryer sheets to combat the static, I can certainly endorse that!  The colour blend included in the kit was Autumn Dawn, mainly silver with a few other colour inclusions.  I had seen a demo table at The Glitter Pot (didn't have time to stay and watch the actual demo!) and this stamp was on the table there so I thought I would try it .... though I was a bit doubtful as it is very detailed.




It gives an amazing effect, all the detail is picked up.  DH did mutter something about couldn't I get that effect with embossing powder ..... to which Sy and I answered No!  LOL.

It's also very difficult to photograph as it changes with the light.  The two pics above are the same card, but it looks more gold than its real silver colour, the mat is actually blue-green :-)  I have now bought another six Indigo Blu colour mixes, plus a Cosmic Shimmer one called Mulled Wine, well how could I resist that??

Looking forward to trying all my new mixes :-)

6 comments:

  1. How lovely the cards turned out . I've not used any gliding flakes yet but do like the effect you get with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cards are beautiful
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooh I think I need to have a play with these now I have seen the results, this sample turned out lovely, I hav wondered about them flakes a few times when I have spotted them in craft shops

    it's hard to tell from the photo but does it look very different from when you use embossing powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's a flat finish rather than a slightly raised one and there are the colour inclusions too... it's more random

      Delete