A blog for cooking and crafts

Monday 23 August 2010

Shortbread

100g / 4oz butter, softened
50g / 2oz caster sugar
150g / plain flour
25g / 1oz ground rice or semolina

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add flour and rice or semolina. Mix to a soft dough – I use a hand mixer until it all starts to form big clumps, then lightly knead together by hand.

For Petticoat Tails: Base line a 7” quiche tin, grease the sides well and press the dough into it. Mark into 8 triangles with a knife, prick all over with a fork. Bake at Gas 3 / 170C / 325F for about 40 minutes, until pale golden. Leave in tin for 5 minutes, then cut into triangles and leave in tin to cool.

For Round Biscuits: Line baking sheets with parchment. Roll out dough to about 8mm / 3/8ths inch thick – I do this on a silicon mat, saves covering the entire work top with flour! – and cut into rounds with a 2” fluted cutter. Prick with a fork twice. Chill for 5 minutes. Bake at Gas 3 / 170C / 325F for about 10 - 15 minutes, until pale golden. Leave on tray for 5 minutes to firm up, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

These freeze very well. I usually make a double batch at a time :-)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I adore shortbread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - will definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom loves petticoat tails!!! I'm going to have to keep this one on standby so I can make her some. They'll keep through the post I'm sure... won't they??

    ReplyDelete